Friday, May 5, 2017

Squid Eats: Michael's on the Hill

via Vermont Restaurant Week
For my recent birthday, we went to Michael's on the Hill for dinner.  Located in Waterbury Center, Michael's is one of the most highly regarded high-end restaurants in Vermont.  It's just barely south of Stowe, a ski resort town. 

The meal was nice.  Unlike another recent adventure (see here), the service was expertly provided by our waitress, sporting a ski goggle tan.  The food was good.  We shared a paté plate and I had the double pork chop for the main course.   It was a pleasant evening.  But here's the big question: was it worth the price?

I don't mean this as a knock against Michael's in particular.  The prices are printed on the menu.  No one is being duped.  Mine is more a question of whether fine dining in general is worth the cost.  I thoroughly enjoyed my meal but was it truly several times better than a kimchi taco at Mad Taco (see here).  My pork was good but I don't salivate thinking about it the way I do those kimchi tacos.  The visceral reaction is certainly reflective of something.

There is one course, though, where fine dining nearly always comes through: dessert!  I had the Cordillera Fair Trade Chocolate Truffle Torte with Mint Julep Sorbet and Preserved Raspberry Sauce.  The sorbet alone was one of the most amazing things I've ever tasted.

With fine dining, you're paying for an overall experience.  The food is the vital component but the quality of service and the general atmosphere are important, too.  I have had meals in my life when I walked away feeling light-headed and tingly - a different sort of visceral response, I suppose.  Michael's on the Hill didn't quite attain that standard for me, but it was good.

10 comments:

  1. I saw your post was about food, so came running. I know what you mean. Which is why we return to our local Thai restaurant again and again and only go to the 2 fine dining establishments we have in our little village. Food at all of them is beyond amazing, but you can't afford fine dining prices every week. And I do salivate thinking about Thai Red Curry Chicken. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One certainly can't do fine dining all the time. Having dependable, mid-range places is important. Thai Red Curry Chicken sounds awfully nice.

      Delete
  2. Forgot to finish the sentence: '...and only go to the 2 fine dining...on a very special occasion.' Makes sense, now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right. The comfort food stops can be nice for a special occasion, too. There's a greasy spoon Italian spot in our old neighborhood where I celebrated my 40th a few years ago. It was the perfect choice.

      Delete
  3. If you had a nice time then it is a win and just never go there again.
    Happy Birthday !

    Let there be cake,
    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  4. We don't habitually go to fancy restaurants, just on really rare occasions. There is one, though, out in Wine Country here in Temecula. We might give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think good fine dining is worth the price when you can afford it. I'd love to be able to each rich delicacies all the time, but I can't. So, my husband and I save up to eat at those places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had some amazing meals in my life which rank among my most cherished menus. But in planning family outings, I am coming around to the belief that comforting and dependable are the most important qualities and can be had at a more reasonable cost.

      Delete